mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This misses the point entirely. They are paid what they are paid because there is tipping, take tipping away and they'd need to be paid more to find the labour. It's just a hassle, the entire concept is asinine.
Before the pandemic there were a select few restaurants bucking this trend but now, at least in Atlanta, Im seeing more and more. They still accept tips in a lot of them but its pooled tips and they pay a real wage, some just added a service charge to the bill up front and said dont tip.

One thing I have noticed is those restaurant owners arent the ones I hear complaining about how they cant get anyone to work there. My favorite does the "base plus" model of a full wage for everyone and then all the non management staff pools whatever tips were left and they have almost all of the same employees pre-pandemic thanks to more stable wages.

I know a lot of the waitresses from the trendy places and they never returned. They all went to school, had other careers, but fell into service because a hot chick bartending can make BANK. But when COVID hit they realized its not a guarantee and a lot fell back onto their original career path and, especially being slightly older, like getting a consistent check every two weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This misses the point entirely. They are paid what they are paid because there is tipping, take tipping away and they'd need to be paid more to find the labour. It's just a hassle, the entire concept is asinine.
I'm not a huge fan of tipping either to be honest. Having said that if everyone was paid what the self entitled millennials call "a living wage", the price of everything would be much higher and I am not sure we'd all be happy about that either. I don't have an answer for this frankly, when I think of someone working in McDonalds etc for minimum wage that seems fair, when I see how physically hard my movers worked minimum wage seems low. I think hard work should be rewarded fairly and some minimum wages are fairly paid.
Exactly. Tipping has gotten ridiculous in this country. I'm basically asked on the credit card machine to tip everytime I do a carry out order at a restaurant. When COVID was going on, I understood. However, so many places have kept this and are exploiting the whole idea of tipping at this point just to pad profits….because, well, you know….inflation and everyone has money to spend.

I'm accepting cash tips for this post, as well. Thanks.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0