View Single Post
      06-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #68
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This misses the point entirely. They are paid what they are paid because there is tipping, take tipping away and they'd need to be paid more to find the labour. It's just a hassle, the entire concept is asinine.
Before the pandemic there were a select few restaurants bucking this trend but now, at least in Atlanta, Im seeing more and more. They still accept tips in a lot of them but its pooled tips and they pay a real wage, some just added a service charge to the bill up front and said dont tip.

One thing I have noticed is those restaurant owners arent the ones I hear complaining about how they cant get anyone to work there. My favorite does the "base plus" model of a full wage for everyone and then all the non management staff pools whatever tips were left and they have almost all of the same employees pre-pandemic thanks to more stable wages.

I know a lot of the waitresses from the trendy places and they never returned. They all went to school, had other careers, but fell into service because a hot chick bartending can make BANK. But when COVID hit they realized its not a guarantee and a lot fell back onto their original career path and, especially being slightly older, like getting a consistent check every two weeks.
Appreciate 0