02-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
I just went from the DCT in my F80 to the ZF8 in my F92 a few weeks ago. Hard to compare with the M8 being such a heavy car, so I can't really toss it around as much, plus the V8 is a much tamer animal in general with a lower redline, less turbo lag, etc., but the ZF is really lightning quick on the upshifts.

Winding up through the gears in full auto mode feels quick, effortless, and just perfect, definitely superior to the DCT here. I'd say my DCT was a bit less predictable, I'd get the occasional violent upshift into 2nd or 3rd, which is dramatic, but that just translates to being inefficient/slow.

Downshifts are certainly where I miss the DCT, but like I said, likely more of a result of the car itself than the transmission. I feel like I want the car to downshift earlier when braking, but I also feel like I want it to hit 8000 rpm at those times, so that not going to happen no matter how hard I pull the paddle or stomp on the brake. When it does happen just where I want it to, it's pretty magnificent.
Appreciate 3
heavyD^23688.50