View Single Post
      05-02-2024, 08:22 AM   #51
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel power View Post
100% agree, what's even stranger is Tesla just got the entire auto industry to synchronize with the Tesla charging plug so that they will essentially own the charging business and now he's shutting it down? For what, so he can focus on Robotaxi vaporware? Last weeks call where he tried to gaslight everyone that Tesla was actually an AI company and should be valued as such was a blatant attempt to try to keep the share price up (which worked too well unfortunately). Unfortunately for him, if it's an AI company it's not a very good one as despite his continuing promises that FSD is coming it's actually fallen behind some of their automotive industry peers.
Agreed. I don't think they are 'shutting it down' but they have said they want to slow growth. Excuse me? This is the biggest missing link in the whole EV sector and you are the leader and you're shutting it down? Uh, ok. Guess that's why you're worth eleventy billion dollars but I want no part of that crazy decision making tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
I just had this complete paradigm shift about Tesla in the last 24 hours.

The laying off of the entire SC team bothered me quite a bit, seeing as how they did a phenomenal job.

Then I visited their latest service center in my area - drove the model S checked out the new model 3 and perused the model X again. The changes they made to the steering wheel, removing the stalks - what a boneheaded idea, on par with the yoke steering wheel rollout. Not only that, but the lack of engagement from the personnel there, the lackluster model S experience - terrible seats, feels like a Toyota Camry honestly - made things even worse.

I've had the iX for all of 12 hours, but after owning 2 teslas (model 3 perf gen 1, model Y LR) for a combined 3 years and 30k miles, there really is a phenomenal difference between the BMW and the Tesla. I had driven the Audi e-tron (SUV) and was underwhelmed. But I drove the i4M50 and the iXM60 and they are both exceptional vehicles.

I'm sure the range and performance isn't quite matched to Tesla. Although it looks like I drove 60 miles since charge and have 220 miles remaining so that would be as much or more than my model Y LR.
Yeah, I can't get over the no stalks thing.

Agreed with you. There is no more cool factor, no more enthusiasm on part of the company employees. When I bought my first model 3, everyone I interacted with in person (online and on the phone was a WHOLE different matter) was super cool. Like you were becoming part of a club. People wanted to welcome you to the family and help. People still got out of the car at superchargers and talked with one another.

By the time I traded my second Model 3....none of that was there. From Christmas 2020 until December 2022, I recieved fewer OTA features than I did in probably the 6 months preceeding that. Never mind the 18 months before THAT! Customer service at the service center was at fast food joint levels. We had gone from Tesla loaners to crappy Tesla loaners to uber credits. Mobile service was impossible to get. People internally conflicted with each other with what they told me.

Moreover, things were clearly designed without user input in mind. Software updates started making things worse rather than better. Features were being removed. My car had radar for cruise and it was turned off via an OTA update. The UI on the screen sucked after the Christmas 2020 update and they kept making it worse (tiny power / regen bar anyone)? Everything was geared to try to make FSD work but it continues to suck. Meanwhile my wipers wouldn't work on auto hardly at all.

So yeah, this is just another reminder that no matter how cool the shiny new object is, I prefer not to be a part of a startup automaker headed by a lunatic. I do root for them and think that they have literally changed the entire industry (or at least forced an inevitable change decades sooner both in terms of EV adoption and software driven vehicles) but I'm too tired to ride this roller coaster.

Congrats on your iX!
Appreciate 1