captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
1. Let's say it sometimes shifts around 200 millisecond=0.2 second. If any of the shift is done in this range the delay is noticeable enough to be uncomfortable, especially if you plan to track the car or drive at 9/10th.
I find torque converter in high torque applications inconsistent in shifting in especially the downshifts as the computer is trying to figure out the safest release point <7,400 rpm which doesn't cause oil cavitation in the gearbox. Getrag DCT on the other hand is rated <=9,000 rpm which is more than enough for any turbocharged engines, so it does not have this lag.

2. The complaint about dropping DCT is not having "fast enough" transmission in either case but rather going from "fastest, uncompromising shifts" of DCT to "fast enough" shifts of torque converter.
It might have worked with the grandpa community of M5-M8 buyers, but I refuse to buy an M car that has been compromised for cost cutting and daily smoothness. M340i is and should be the sole option for duality towards the daily driveability.

3. As I repeat, M stands for motorsport. If you putter around a town or floor it once in a while on the highway and don't drive the car 9 to 10/10th around tight corners of a track or mountain roads, M is just a poser car.

Having a trim level (competition, CS, etc) to separate the degree of hardcore in my opinion is an excellent choice, but the base has to be good to satisfy customers of all range. I've test driven N55 M2 DCT and it was one of the fastest, smoothest transmissions I've ever driven and is on the par with PDK on 718 Cayman GTS (also test driven). ZFat on F90 M5? Not even close.
As was stated in several earlier posts the torque converter in the ZF is locked up once the car is in motion and does not have a role in the shifting of gears. Gear changes are accomplished by 4 gear sets and 5 shift elements (3 clutches and 2 brakes).

By your definition my M4 is definitely a poser car as I have no intention of tracking it and I do not drive it at 10/10th on mountain roads. I bought it as a GT car and that is what I consider it to be. When I want to drive at 10/10th I have access to dedicated track cars and I have a track membership with 50 track days per year.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-04-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0