View Single Post
      11-28-2022, 10:02 PM   #324
JohnnyD60
Registered
Rep
Drives: '17 Golf R

Hi all — I’m interested in getting some input from you guys regarding a car purchase.

I will be in the market for a new car early next year. Initially I was leaning towards the redesigned ’23 M2 but after looking over the specs from formal unveiling of the car in October I’m having second thoughts. Specifically, I have four issues/concerns with the car:

- I’m not crazy about the looks of the new design - the front square intakes, the recessed grill, the rear end with the sharper angles… IMO all of these are changes are downgrades the F87 design.
- The color options for the car are surprisingly limited. Two nonmetallic and three metallic colors including that awful powder blue option? What were these guys thinking?
- The car is being produced in a new factory in Mexico rather than in Leipzig. I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to be an early buyer of the first cars coming off this new production line. While I’m sure the new plant will be fine once it’s up and running for a few months, one could imagine some of the early production cars could have several quality control hiccups.
- Lastly, the new car has gained 250 lbs in weight over the F87 and now weighs as much as an M4 — 3,867 for the M2 vs. 3,830 for the M4. This is why even with the HP bump the new M2s 0-60 is still 4.1 seconds.

For about $10K more than a nicely optioned M2, I could get an M4 Competition with better color options, an additional 50 hp, equal or better road performance, and a front grill that’s even less desirable than the M2’s…

Am I overstating the new M2’s shortcoming? Are the owners of the redesigned M4 happy with the car? Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0