Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
So, someone orders a BMW without electing the option for front heated seats.

BMW decides to give this person a BMW with hardware for front heated seats with the software disabling the functionality.

BMW provides this person (and any subsequent owner) the option to activate the front heated seats on a trial basis, on a monthly basis, or a fully-paid up basis.

And ... everyone loses their minds? WTF!?

Are we getting upset because we are out of things to get upset about?

Also, "For the people in the back" is hilarious ... let that BMW personality shine.
On an M3, as an example, ventilated seats are $300. But let's say it costs BMW, idk, $180 for the actual hardware. I'm ok with them making money in that fashion. I buy the entire car, option it how I want, and away we go. Our deal is complete.

What they propose here is, you can buy the car. You can own the hardware for those cooled seats. But no matter how much you pay us, you'll never own the software to make them work. If you ever stop paying for it, we won't let you use them.

Let's say I own a car for 5 years, and vented seats are $5 a month. So I've still paid the $300 to equip the car, now I pay another $300 to make it work. Not ok with that. They can make a little money off me, but not a lot.

Now before you're like "they said that's not how it'll work" - that's how it already works. Every BMW has a satellite radio receiver. You, and Sirius, pay for that in the MSRP of the car, whether you want it or not.

Now you own that receiver for the life of the car, but you can't use it unless you pay for it monthly. For entertainment, this seems to be ok. We do this with the TVs in our home. But I don't need to pay Samsung to turn the damn tv on once I bought it.