FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_machina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
What BMWNA could start doing is- Building cars fully loaded out. Then when you buy the car you get to pick what you want enabled.
Of course like everyone else I'm appalled and do not like this direction. I think it raises some significant issues/questions about the nature of vehicle ownership. As others have pointed out, with a service like SXM or Nav updates, the value is delivered remotely. In this case a subscription makes sense because value is being delivered. But in the case of heated seats or existing vehicle equipment this brings into question who actually owns the vehicle? Do I own the heated seat mechanism, even if I don't pay for the service? Can I have someone modify them to work? It is my car after all. BMW is unfortunately following a trend to turn everything into a "platform" for service delivery and this implies that we don't own our cars but rather we license them from BMW and they can then sell us features as a service or control our access and privileges. IMO this is very anti-consumer and buyers should push back forcefully. I want to own my car and all it's systems solely for my use. If you can deliver some value, new features, or content via remote update, I'm happy for that option, but don't turn my car into a services platform (certainly not at the ever increasing MSRPs, as someone else said, if it's so cheap to just add heated seats to every car they should just be a standard option!!!) /Rant
I agree- it's greedy
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i142.50