Thread: M3/M4 vs 911
View Single Post
      01-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #20
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

I generally think BMW get suspension right for the most part, never been in the SUV's but I wouldn't consider them traditional M cars. The stock e9x adaptive suspension was very good in my opinion. The main issue on certain modern M cars is the dampers BMW spec are built to a price, sub $100 parts in the M2C for example. They always use aluminium control arms with good kinematics, which is why a good set of coil-overs is transformative on most M cars.

By contrast Porsche GT cars run proper bespoke Bilstein units, but they are much more expensive cars. The suspension in my GT4 is light years ahead of my previous stock M2C, 'stiffer' but more compliant and controlled at the same time which is down to the more sophisticated damping. I've been through a few different suspensions, but I would put the stock GT4 suspension right up there with the MCS2WNR I had on my M2C.

What BMW seem unwilling or unable to get right is steering...

OP- not sure the M3 and 911 are really directly comparable anymore. If you can afford it and practicality is no concern, there are tons of options. If you track a lot - GT3/4. If you spend most of the time on the street, you could also consider something with a V10 from the VAG family.
Appreciate 2
PLF693767.50
akhbhaat180.50