05-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #42
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
. . . I personally don't see anything magical in 7 gears. . . creates space for the M3/M4 to be a bit more refined than they have been in the past without sacrificing overall performance.
Thank you Mr. M

There is nothing 'magical' about 7 gears. My comments were that eight gears seems like one too many, as the ZF8 shifts are too short. I suspect if I were coming from PDK/DCT with six gears I would think ZF8 with seven gears is one too many.

However, my comments were not random. For example, there is no shortage of opinion that Porsche MT gearing is too tall. I do not share that opinion because I love climbing the tach, and have no compulsion or need to get past 2nd or 3rd gears during typically spirited driving.

I am certain there is a point when gearing would be too tall for me, just as eight gears with the ZF8 seems too long. Over time, perhaps, I will learn to accept and enjoy the G80 gearing . . . but it is likely going to take some intervention on the part of BMW for me to embrace ZF8 shifting?

As far as the BMW lineup and BMW sacrificing overall performance in favor of refinement with the G80, that does indeed seem to be the case . . . but not the direction I personally want to travel with them.

Again, I am going to give the G80 the fair shake it deserves over the next weeks and months. I have not written this thing off just yet.

///AVM
Appreciate 0