View Single Post
      05-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #37
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

G80 M3C ZF8 Automatic Mode

Aside from long highway drives, it is not a common occasion that I explore PDK/DCT or ZF8 automatic modes. In terms of highway ‘cruising,’ all three are perfectly adequate. The following remains in respect to SPIRITED driving.

PDK automatic mode is (nearly) as impressive as manual mode. By ‘impressive’ I mean to state the computer is quite telepathic with up and downshifts according to Normal, Sport and Sport Plus mode selected. . . still, I prefer manual mode because I have my own 'computer settings' in my head, as well as the enjoyment I receive from engaging the shifter.

DCT automatic mode with the M2C is adequate if you are out on open (rural) roads and able to constantly open up the throttle as you pass through the straights and twisties. However, within the speed limits of spirited daily driving, automatic mode constantly gets ‘hung up’ when it is time to decide between taking the foot off the throttle and jail time.

Today I was out on both local and rural roads. Decided to engage the ZF8 automatic mode per settings noted in post #3. Of course, I swapped S3 for D3 . . . and used Sport for M1 and Sport Plus for M2 with regard to engine modes.

What I concluded after some 75-100 miles of driving is that ZF8 automatic mode is far superior to DCT automatic mode in terms of shift points, both up and down. Shift points varied as would be expected for Sport and Sport Plus modes, e.g., Sport being more aggressive than Comfort and Sport Plus more aggressive than Sport. 8 gears are still one too many for my liking, as shifts are way too short, particularly in lower gears.

Is ZF8 automatic mode better than PDK automatic mode. No, nothing is better than PDK, period. Nonetheless, ZF8 automatic mode is something I might have to explore further given my displeasure with manual mode at this point???

Maybe the S58 and G80 chassis were designed to work better with ZF8 automatic mode, or vice versa?

Maybe I have to accept the fact that the G80 is now more of a high performing cruiser than what we have come to expect from an ///M car?

Whatever the case, I am going to keep pushing the G80 every which way I know and see where things land in the final polling. Not living up to expectations of an ///M car does not mean I cannot grow to appreciate and enjoy what it does have to offer. . . more than what is currently felt to represent shortcomings.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00