05-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #29
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
///AVM, have you tested a M3 with the 6MT? I wonder if you expressed your displeasure with the ZF8 whether your dealer would let you take a 6MT for a proper hour-long test drive and get a sense for how it compares.

I have recently test driven a number of the vehicles in comparison here - a M2C DCT, M2C 6MT, F80 M3C 6MT, F82 M4 CS DCT, G80 M3 6MT and G82 M4C 8AT. (I also daily a G05 X5 50i with the ZF8 so I know it well.) The DCT was an occasion. The ZF8 is an incredible automatic but it isn't a DCT. It is more refined, which has pro and con. If "raw" equals "soul" then you will find the ZF8 has lost some soul, even if it has not actually lost any measurable performance. Regardless, because I have a ZF8 in my SUV, I will be buying a 6MT in my sporty car on principle.
Thank you Mr. M

MT is a very individual topic . . . I have previously mentioned my past passion for the MT, as well as the basis of my conversion to PDK/DCT.

This is very subjective, but a vehicle's chassis plays SIGNIFICANTLY into my enjoyment of a MT. I am positive many disagree, but even the M2C was too 'big' a vehicle for me to enjoy a MT . . . so considering a MT in the G80 is an absolute no-go.

Chassis size/weight are important, but not the only factors. For example, engine mount, suspension, etc are also important considerations. Overall, this is why Porsche sport cars are among the few I would consider going back to MT. Still, PDK is so exceptional that I remain partial to it over MT.

What has become clear to me in short-order is that the ZF8 is not comparable to DCT. DCT is a MT without a manual clutch. ZF8 is, well, an automatic transmission that lacks the 'punch' or, as you suggest, 'soul' of the DCT/MT.

Per my above post to PLF, I have little doubt BMW engineers are capable of giving the ZF8 some punch/soul that is currently lacking in the G80 . . . time will tell if such will ever be their intention?

///AVM
Appreciate 0