05-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #28
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I will be honest, I am not surprised at all by your review.

I have been following most of your threads/post from the time you were still driving your 718 GTS, I was surprised you got a M3C, I figure you ordered one without test driving one. Wich is totally normal.

I almost did the same but reasoned myself to test drive before, maybe because I had past experience with the ZF8 in a M235i, I knew a bit more what to expect and I confirmed my thaughts while test driving a M4C. I ordered a 6mt.

Anyways, I think you may need to change a bit your expectations, it's a bigger car equipped with a much more civilized transmission, anyone can use it easily, DCT not so much.. As much as many deplore BMW letting the DCT go, we need to live with it now and it's back to 6mt or slushbox. I also hated the 8zf on track because too many gears.

I hope your journey with M3C turns out to be satisfying as time goes on.

Happy Driving
PLF

Thank you for your - as always - insightful feedback

Yes, getting out of the blocks first did not come with the luxury of a test drive . . . still, honestly, I find it extremely difficult to develop a proper opinion about a vehicle after driving around the block a few times during a test drive.

Even after 600 miles of seat time, I realize I have not yet 'meshed' with the G80 . . . no doubt variable between drivers, but I generally do not land on firm opinion until a couple thousand miles of seat time. Not only me familiarizing myself with the vehicle, but the vehicle itself coming into its own.

As per above posts, the G80 is wonderfully engineered and many will enjoy the hell out of it . . . SO FAR, and for reasons stated, simply not the performance I expected from an ///M car icon.

If my views change over time it likely will not be related to any improvements on the part of the car itself, rather, my learning to accept and enjoy what the car has to offer . . . as opposed to focusing on what expectations were not met out of the gate.

I DOUBT I will make a return to the MT lifestyle. . . and realize DCT is not returning to BMW lineup. The best I could hope for - and is quite likely given the pace of technology - is that significant improvements are forthcoming with the ZF8.

Best

///AVM
Appreciate 0