BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Skip the Cup 2s as they're street tires that aren't great in the rain. Cup 2Rs are a bit better but necessarily for the price.

RE71RS is a fast tire, but probably not a great choice for developing drivers. I'd prefer an endurance focused tire for consistency, but don't think there are any options for our cars unless you're going for non-stock sizes.

While it's not the fastest option, the BMW spec Pirelli P Zero tire is great on track for the price if you're getting take offs. I go through about two sets a summer.
I really appreciate the guidance, thank you. I don't think I am ready for R-comps, so the Cup2Rs would be a bit too much for me. I think I need tires that I do not need to change before/after events, use them daily, four seasons and have tires that would not go to 45 psi during a session

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
OP forgot to say since you are local - if you aren’t already in touch with RRT (Road Racing Technologies) of Dulles, I recommend them highly. They do all my track preparation and know BMWs very well. Your yearly routine should include a track-focused alignment and brake flush (alignment gets knocked out of spec after awhile, so this will prevent strange tire wear from developing).
Yes, I know about RRT, they are really great I hear. They are a bit far away from me though.

I had the car aligned before the event. I called several shops around, including RRT, and none would do the alignment either with weight on the seat or while I am sitting in the car. I finally found a local shop that agreed, so I had it done there. I sat in the car and had great chat with the owner, who was from Columbia and huge racing fan Interestingly, after the alignment, he said "you know, it is great you are taking this car to the track, but just know that your tires will give you issues."

I hope we'll get to meet during one of the events, would love to chat more. I am constantly monitoring Discord now haha, some really fun stuff.