12-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #44
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
I grant it's very fast in a straight line, but it has terrible brakes, steering, endurance and handling:

Its fast lap times are made entirely from its straight line speed corner to corner. Maybe Tesla will improve the brakes and steering through software and hardware updates, but for me the extreme mass of it just turns me off. My M4 is about as heavy as I'd like it to be. I normally track my McLaren and it beats the plaid hands down for pure driving nirvana on a race circuit. Carbon ceramic brakes stop me from 150-160 to 40 down the straight lap after lap (with about 1500lbs less weight to bring to a stop), and the steering precision & reaction time is perfect and confidence inspiring.

Of course you may not want to drive your Plaid on track and that's perfectly fine as everyone enjoys different things, but I really don't get the supercar/hypercar bashing in a straight line - the plaid was fitted with rocket boosters and designed to go straight, the supercars were not.

Also, it's no where near the fastest production car on a circuit. Around the Nurburgring even the humble Audi RS3 was quicker. A 2012 GTR was quicker. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S SUV even was quicker! Then there are others like the Panamera, Alfa Giulia, and of course the BMW M4 GTS. Not to mention virtually all modern super/hyper cars. Yes, it's the quickest electric production sedan around that circuit - but the Nio and Rimac are both faster electric cars too

I don't mean to put down your purchase - the Plaid is an incredible feat and very very fast, but Elon Musk cut corners to make it, and made it just to claim the record against the Taycan Turbo S by using pure brute force. I do feel justified in my commentary though as this thread has bashed my beloved McLaren brand, so just had to set the record straight

Thanks!

S.
Thanks for an excellent post!
Brakes are better than those in AMG with a stopping distance 104 feet from 60-0 mph! That's a decent number, but I'll give you they are no where near confidence inspiring as any ///M car I have ever owned (Heck I rented an Audi Q3 abs I loved the brakes way more than my Tesla because of reassurance despite me knowing numbers won't be as good!!)!! He did cut corners on that, again "Plaid" with numbers to be ahead of many other cars! Very few cars are below 100 foot! By the way that video you have referenced claimed bad track numbers, but there's a ton of other videos showing it did beat ///M5 and the Cadillac Blackwing monster on the track!! And those are track cars!! But hey! It's not meant for the track and the proof is the steering "wheel" or lack of one thereof ?!

Again thank you for your post!
I actually like it

Don't y'all forget we will all own a Tesla and we have to be "Lucid" about it because otherwise we might be "eTroned" lol

Everyone is joining the band wagon!

I do agree that Tesla plaid is either Porsche's answer or Elon's sort of comeuppance unto them because they dared dream for a few months they got him!!! talk vengeance! And once you drive or glide in the PLAID, you'll be greeted by a very vengeful car no doubt! Hahahaha

soooma
Appreciate 0