View Single Post
      12-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #36
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
I grant it’s very fast in a straight line, but it has terrible brakes, steering, endurance and handling:

Its fast lap times are made entirely from its straight line speed corner to corner. Maybe Tesla will improve the brakes and steering through software and hardware updates, but for me the extreme mass of it just turns me off. My M4 is about as heavy as I’d like it to be. I normally track my McLaren and it beats the plaid hands down for pure driving nirvana on a race circuit. Carbon ceramic brakes stop me from 150-160 to 40 down the straight lap after lap (with about 1500lbs less weight to bring to a stop), and the steering precision & reaction time is perfect and confidence inspiring.

Of course you may not want to drive your Plaid on track and that’s perfectly fine as everyone enjoys different things, but I really don’t get the supercar/hypercar bashing in a straight line - the plaid was fitted with rocket boosters and designed to go straight, the supercars were not.

Also, it’s no where near the fastest production car on a circuit. Around the Nurburgring even the humble Audi RS3 was quicker. A 2012 GTR was quicker. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S SUV even was quicker! Then there are others like the Panamera, Alfa Giulia, and of course the BMW M4 GTS. Not to mention virtually all modern super/hyper cars. Yes, it’s the quickest electric production sedan around that circuit - but the Nio and Rimac are both faster electric cars too

I don’t mean to put down your purchase - the Plaid is an incredible feat and very very fast, but Elon Musk cut corners to make it, and made it just to claim the record against the Taycan Turbo S by using pure brute force. I do feel justified in my commentary though as this thread has bashed my beloved McLaren brand, so just had to set the record straight

Thanks!

S.
Not sure if you were here, but we proved on this page that carbon ceramic brakes are worthless.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50