Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patelagni21 View Post
I think I've decided on the M550i. I talked to BMW and the lease prices for the M3C are insanely high. M550i top pick in my budget and M5 if my father allows it.

Thank you guys for the input, helped a lot.
I always thought the M550i is a great deal since they first launched it. Just over $70k for a car with that engine and AWD is hard to beat. And now with the good looks of the LCI and 530hp even more so.

It was early reported to be soft with excessive body roll but due to the value I've been tempting to get one and put coil overs on it and still have huge amount of air between it and the M5. The styling before LCI was very bland though. Now it's much better.

Please post here when you get it
I was in the market for a use F80 or pre LCI M550. I was budgeting high 40's low 50's. You are looking at more expensive cars which are newer - but I suspect the differences I observed when I was shopping are probably stlll very relevant to the newer cars.

The smaller/lighter M3 will feel far more nimble and fun. It is a more raw experience. The M550, which fast and a lot of fun, is more of a daily driver. Think like your M340 only larger with AWD and more torque and way more luxury.

If you want a car that you can track get the M3. Any M550, no matter what year is NOT a track car. It is a very fast very fun heavy luxury car, but very practical and livable.

For a daily driver that you can take people in - the M550 is likely the better choice.

I went with a 2018 M550. It's a ton of fun, but it's a daily driver, not a track toy. It goes fast and handles well, but it will never go around twisties like a lighter M340 / M3 / M4.

Test drive them both and think hard about what you plan to do with the car and what will make you smile. I sometimes wish I had the M3 - mostly when I am alone on an on-ramp.

The other 99% of the time I prefer my M550. I can do 0-60 in 3.9 while getting ass massaged. If you don't need all the creature comforts, rear seat and trunk space - you will have more fun in the smaller car. I'm 50 with 3 kids so the M550 made more sense.

Good luck. Either car is amazing.

Did you get one?
Appreciate 0