View Single Post
      02-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Do you believe that the G80 end date is more certain than the G82 end date? I would be very surprised to see any gap between the G82 and G82 LCI - equally as surprised as I would be to see any between the G80 and G80 LCI.
Transition between pre-LCI and LCI is usually fluent (unlike transition between model generations): for example EOP June for a pre-LCI model and SOP July for an LCI model. As we know, LCI usually features only minor plug & play changes, facilitating a fluent transition (for example tail lights featuring a different layout, new body colors, improved electronics (updated iDrive version), updated instrument panel, etc.).

And apart from an LCI, there are also some discreet updates during a model lifetime (infamous example: during its lifetime, the F80 M3 and F82 M4 featured several engineering versions modifying the exhaust sound - yeah, the S55 engine had its peculiar way of singing its songs).

Will BMW tinker with the G80 front end design for the G80 M3 LCI scheduled to start production in July 2022 ? I doubt it - the new front end design is supposed to stay around as new design language. But if by any chance BMW would have a go at it (not heard anything like that so far) and if this would require retooling, a gap between pre-LCI and LCI is possible.