View Single Post
      08-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #74
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
To use the phraseology from the ZF Information, what is being demonstrated is the Engaging Assistant, a.k.a. Money Shift Eliminator. It's been in the works since 2012. Overspeed Protection and ABS Support also make a few brief appearances.
Ok, so that’s a different animal from an electronic clutch because now you have to have some type of mechanism to prevent the shifter from moving into a specific gate. Edit: actually, thinking more about it, as long as the clutch can be held open by the TCU even if you remove your foot from the pedal, that wouldn’t be necessary.

All of this is cool tech. I remember having theoretical discussions about electronically assisted manual transmissions back around 2007 before the launch of E9x M3. It’s neat that some of it is actually coming to market, although I can’t help but wonder if they could have greatly increased the lifespan of the MT if it had all come a decade sooner.

And good call on spotting this, JTO24 and whoever else called it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Smart Clutch
That’s a good read, thanks. I’m still not convinced the G8x will completely break the physical link between the pedal and the clutch, but it sounds like it will at least have some type of electric clutch actuation (which as I say, would still be big news).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
It makes sense to me, as BMW is trying hard to pave way for the electrification rollout, the S58 would be a unicorn or wierdo, keeping purely traditionally internal-combusted for the next 7 years.
Well, it wouldn’t be the first time an M engine forwent new technology that was rolled out to the rest of the lineup. However, I agree that it’s unlikely to last through to G87 EOP (approximately eight years from now) without getting 48V.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00