View Single Post
      10-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Just my opinion.

Regarding operating various car controls while on track. I won’t specifically comment on the OP who as others have said is qualified to twirl a knob or two, but just in general with amateurs like me and a bunch of other forum members.

One of the abilities one hopes to develop during HPDE is to start paying attention to many things in and out of the cockpit, to adjust on the fly anything that needs it, and hopefully not have a death grip on the steering wheel. Develop it bit by bit over time, staying safe of course but do develop it.

By all means check and tighten your belts and harnesses during the session. Disable that collision mitigation setting (duh adc, you really forgot to do it in the pit lane?). Recall the TPMS screen when your passenger accidentally touches the idrive controller. Change the engine mode to experiment from lap to lap, or switch between MDM and off to find out if it is helping or hurting you. Adjust the airflow if needed, bring the visor up or down, etc. Thumbs-up the car you passed if you can. All while driving smoothly and not missing a beat.

The ability to multitask while on track might save your bacon. And I’ll mitigate this by saying you need to distinguish what is safe to do and what isn’t.

Say if your phone mount detaches from the windshield and falls in your footwell, I suggest slowing to a safer speed and exiting to pits to retrieve it, for safety reasons. You probably can’t adjust this one on the fly.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0