View Single Post
      10-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Let's Talk Frozen Paint - Pros and Cons

Hi everyone,

I know there are comments about this topic in other threads in this forum, but I wanted to create a dedicated thread.

Next year, I will be ordering an M4 convertible. My last two BMWs have had the Black Sapphire Metallic Paint, which I love, but am looking for something different. I'm really digging the Frozen Grey.

Let me preface this by saying this car will be a daily driver. I drive about 12,000-14,000 miles a year and live in Chicago where the roads get salted in the winter. In addition, because of the extreme cold weather, I can't pull out the hose and wash the car any time I want.

I have a series of questions... answer what you can!

- For those of you that have a car with a Frozen paint, how has maintenance gone? Do you freak out every time you see a rock chip or bird droppings? Or are there some posters that make a bigger deal out of it than it is? I like my cars to be low maintenance.

- Is it pretty much required to put a wrap on it specific to matte paint (Xpel Stealth)? The frozen paint will already add about $3,500 in cost. Xpel stealth could add another $8K or so. If you have the wrap, is it noticeable?

- For those of you that are in cold weather climates, how do you wash the car in winter? I am assuming even a touchless automatic car wash is a big "no" for frozen paint, so are you going to one of those self-service places and just blasting it with the hose to get the salt off?

The below video makes it seem as though caring for it is not that big of a deal as long as you understand that you shouldn't wax or polish it, but I wonder if the video is dated (it's 5 years old).

What are your overall thoughts?

Thanks!
Appreciate 3
solstice5457.50
maelfyn156.50