Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post
"Was it cause of the weight they changed to soft top?"

I have a 430 hard top right now. Take it for what it's worth, but the dealer told me they ditched the hard top not for weight, but rather because the repair costs are astronomical if someone gets rear-ended with the top down. In many instances, the car is totaled because the top and and all of the moving parts deep in the trunk get destroyed.
I think in this situation it would be for both. Weight and cost.

Although even the soft top mechanism is still very expensive if you got hit from the rear.
As an owner of three 335i convertibles so far I can say that the top mechanism is a like a transformer. Awesome to watch in action, very complicated and nearly impossible to fix if the car takes a hard hit to the rear end. I gave up on my first convertible 335i project car. The rear end had been hit and not fixed right, my freind ran the BMW body shop and said the convertible tops are incredibly hard to repair when the car is hit hard.
BUT, I love having the hardtop. It makes the car a coupe when closed. No wind noise, odd look of a short life fabric roof, etc. Then I open the top and have a nice open air ride. Yes, it is a bit heavier, so I just added more power with upgraded turbos, fuel, pipes, intercooler, etc. Speed and fun in one package FTW!
Appreciate 0