Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDirection View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Don't see the appeal of a convertible performance vehicle, it's a contradiction. Surprised these sell at all, 2 completely different market demographics I would have thought.
There is a small group of buyers, such as myself, who love to combine fast acceleration and decent handling with an open top.

Of course the extra weight means a marginal decrease in performance but for me the marginal benefit of being able to cruise with the top down is very worth it.

I would never think of the M4 convertible as a track car, rather a GT.

Also, I'd never consider buying a coupe. To me, I don't really understand the benefit of having two fewer doors if you CAN'T put the top down.
Surprised to hear that, to me it seemed 2 opposite ends of the owner spectrum, I believed those buying an M4 were interested in performance & spirited driving whereas those buying a convertible were interested in self appearance & boulevard cruising. I guess there are always exceptions & crossovers.
I wholeheartedly agree with NewDirection in saying the M4 vert is an a option that I would be interested in as well. In fact, you'd be surprised how many people do like this option, if not for the high price tag. In my mind, the new M3/4 is no longer a pure sports care. It is a cruiser in my mind, akin to the M5. If you really care about sporty performance, there are many great options, from a Miata in the low end to Porsche / lotus in the high end.

The M3/4 was already compromised from the beginning. Not saying that as a negative, in fact, a positive. The M3/4 was always a practical car that had sporty characteristics. And for owners who want one car to appease both practical and fun. Now, even though I like the M4, the cost is prohibitive. All in, you're probably looking at close to 100K! And for my purposes, I probably would go for the M3.

If you want a truly drivers car in BMW's lineup. You would have to go M2. And even then, it's still very heavy.

Now back to the M4 vert. A great afternoon or early morning cruiser with open air experience.
VetteGuy845.50