duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
Do not take BMWs rationale for no manual at face value. While the numbers are surely correct, do not forget that the reason the number of people wanting manual is dropping is because very large numbers of people have simply left the brand to go to Mercedes AMG and Porsche. Countless former BMW fans are there right now.

No wonder both brands have been selling more now then ever in their history. No coincidence I'm sure.

But BMW is not unhappy about this shift. They care purely about maximum profit and nothing more. It is far more cost effective for them to sell M cars to undiscerning customers who only care about the badge and a bright colored car, similar to a child. It is more cost effective because engineering effort does not have to be put into innovation or the ever elusive "feel" of a car, as parts can be recycled across he entire BMW range as well as platforms. It's quite easy money. The same way vw/Audi has been operating since the 90s.

Of course BMW will learn the hard way that undiscerning customers are by definition fickle customers. They will quickly leave the brand for 3 reasons. (A) they are by definition sheep and lemmings so they will (b) follow the crowd. The leaders of any crowd are the dedicated and knowledgeable. The dedicated and knowledgeable car enthusiasts have either already left BMW or are waiting for a unicorn to re-emerge, which it will not and so they will also eventually leave. (C) finally, another manufacturer will figure out how to make something even more shiny and ridiculous then current day bmws are and the fickle idiots will go there. When that day comes well then it's game over. No enthusiasts and no idiots to keep things moving.

That's when bmws conversion to Toyota is complete. BMW has already lost all zeal for making a market (the way great companies like BMW of the past, apple, etc do), and now wait until others have carved out a market then they join in to bite at the periphery. Take for example the x2 and fwd 2gc. Shameful for BMW and will be totally forgettable products as a result. Do you remember when the x5 first came out. An SUV that drove like a BMW. It was a remarkable concept for its time and the product showed the amount of effort that went into it. A true feat and the x5 lineage was guaranteed for many years to come (and indeed up to present day). The same can be said for the 3 series and m3. Is this same mentality there with the x2 or 2gc? Of course not and after the newness of those products wears off people will continue to gravitate towards Mercedes and Audi offerings. A leader shapes the market.

Porsche on the other hand has figured out how to do it. Make something the enthusiasts love. The rank and file superficial idiots follow them and fill porsches coffers, but make no mistake it's because Porsche stays laser focused on the enhthusiast.

Take for example when the 991.1 gt3 was having serious engine failure issues. What did Porsche do? They invited enthusiasts to Porsche HQ. treated them well. Flew in a top executive from Germany who demonstrated the fixes being proposed and topped it off with a warranty for 120k miles on all engines, no matter who owns the car. That's how you treat enthusiasts. Keep them happy and they keep singing the praises and the lemmings follow.

BMW on the other hand takes a different approach to us. When an issue arises they obfuscate, ridicule or marginalize customers and sometimes (at least in the case of scott) throw out racist slander.

Of course enthusiasts are a drop in the bucket in sheer numbers, but we are no question the moral authority on cars and to take our opinions and our fandom for granted is the ultimate stupidity. While BMW ridicules, Porsche and Mercedes AMG are laughing all the way to the bank. Notice that as BMW is phasing out manuals Porsche is distilling manuals across their lineup in the coming generation. No coincidence I'm sure.
I hear you but also believe you're way too focused on the negatives. Every company has a strategy and Porsche's strategy, just like Apple, Bang & Olufsen, etc, and, alas, BMW, is to create some products that appeal to their core, while others help them achieve true growth in sales and profitability needed for sustainability.

For Apple, they make big ugly Plus-sized iPhones even after they claimed for years that they would never do it as it compromises single-handed use, but here we are because it makes money. For Porsche, they make Cayenne's and Macan's to sell to the masses and hold back the 718s from what they could be so that they can make more money on the higher margin 911. BMW is doing no different.

For BMW, in my opinion, you need to look beyond the noise (X2, 2 Series Active Tourer, etc) to see the gems. For me the gems are still ever present and perhaps this sentiment is because I don't try and actively compare BMW to the "good ol days" when they had 5 models. Times have changed. What do I think are the gems and how are they appealing to enthusiasts?

- M235i and M2, nuff said
- F80 M3 is lighter, faster than predecessor and the only car in its class that comfortably fits 5 with a 6MT offered
- F10 M5 offered with a manual even while Porsche phased it out on their GT3 (only to bring it back later)
- M Track Days offered at $250 - purely a nod to enthusiasts
- Free track day offered with M car purchase at Performance Center
- Not to mention all of the BMW Ultimate Drive events going on year round
- First company to invest in a motorsports oriented electric vehicle (i8) and keep it true to concept
- M135i is apparently brilliant and practical although I've never driven it
- 1M a few years ago was purely a nod to enthusiasts
- Active investment in and actual use of lightweight materials (CFRP) in mass production vehicles

I'm sure list goes on. Your username suggests an interest in Benz, so it's super interesting to hear this from you considering what MB is doing with 43/53 AMG models and proliferating the AMG brand across SUVs, sedans, trucks, etc that don't deserve the association at all. At least we could agree that BMW does that to a much lesser extent. It's easy to criticize but we can also appreciate that there are signs BMW is still there and looking out for us despite needing to keep the lights on with some mass market products. I'm excited for what the future holds and still value the company and look forward to what they offer next.

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 6
myzmak2415.00
Pic18303.50
Powerslide1098.50