Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
More weight is never good but people act like this has never happened before. It has happened every time except for the F8X. Now for some reason people act as if the F8X is the norm. It’s not.
Well I did expected the F8X to become the "new norm" in terms of weight reduction effort over the base series. With the G8X going up in size, I for sure expected some level of weight gain, albeit not in the realm of what we are seeing here. It sure seems BMW ///M spent very little effort in keeping the weight down for this gen.
And here is the rub of my think when I started this thread. It looks to me that there is a fundamental philosophy shift at BMW with these newest cars.

The IX, M3 are under new direction. The loved drivers cars they are releasing were set in train some time ago (M2C/M2CS/M5C etc).

This thread's taught me more about the engine bay geometry and philosophy differences in Audi to BMW that may still count for something that the headlines don't reflect. If that's the case perhaps BMW needs to get more sophisticated in their marketing. RWD vs AWD etc clearly can't be used any more. Sticking a M in front of everything isn't going to either as people get a little cynical about what that means.
Appreciate 0