10-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #66
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I spent a few minutes reading through this thread confused before I realized it was revived from a year ago (i.e. I was wondering how 6MT enthusiasts could not know these answers yet?!?).

Anyway, regarding wives (or other significant others as I'm sure a true female 6MT driver would out-drive their husband and most of us on this forum any day of the week)...

I got the DCT in the F80 because my wife drives the car on occasion, but I regret that decision most days of the week. She hasn't driven a manual in about 15 years (prior to me), however, her ex said she was absolutely clueless driving it and basically just stayed in 2nd gear all day long to get around town (she admits this as well). I mean, she's a different person now, has some decent seat time in the F80, has gone through some autocross courses with an auto, and will have done an M-track day. I could also probably set aside a couple of days to get her up to speed to at least be able to drive, but how horrible of an idea would it be if I went with a 6MT in the G8x and had such a person who would want to drive it on occasion?

I would plan to lease, and I think if I pay for the care+ package it would cover the clutch as a wear item for the first 30,000 miles (right?), so that helps, but does rev matching, anti-stall, hill-holding, and all the other goodies make you guys feel okay enough to have someone less experienced drive the car?

I'd probably worry more about her rolling into someone, leaving it in neutral to park (but I trained her to use the parking brake in our DCT and other autos already), or hitting someone while attempting not to stall, than I would burning up a clutch or doing something to the engine.

Let me know your thoughts... and if you find out I moved forward with the 6MT and you are reading this in the future while in the market, feel free to PM me to know what VIN to avoid.
My wife had not driven manual in many years, her first car was a manual and it is like riding a bike, but nonetheless I was a little worried. She does not drink, so on occasion she will need to drive me home after a dinner out and in efficient mode with rev-matching on these newer manuals are very easy and extremely durable.

In fact, I plan on using the rev-matching to teach my oldest to drive as none of my other cars have that feature. I would advise you to go with the manual and after a couple drives with the car, your wife will feel comfortable, IMVHO.
Appreciate 1