View Single Post
      09-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #49
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky Treehorn View Post
Horsepower jockeys crack me up. 500hp isn't enough. They want fast n furious. 10s seconds or less 1/4 mile and roll races on the highway like the 2000s. Tunes. Overnight parts. Race wars.

I test drove the new 992 before deciding it wasn't for me. That car was so fast that it was boring to drive. I couldn't even ring out the engine, it's just instant illegal speeds. Can't even have fun. I've been through this with motorcycles as well.

I want a balanced and engaging road car. Probably part of the reason they detuned the engine with the 6MT is for balance and control. The ZF can be tuned and calibrated along with the AWD system for all kinds of control. The 6MT probably transfers power more directly anyway. Weight savings, ect. I'm totally cool with the power specs on the 6MT, I'm happy it's offered and it will probably end up being the one everyone wants in the end.
Great post. I couldn't help but shake my head when people are saying a base M3/4 is "handicapped". The car still has more than enough power to send you to straight to jail without trying that hard.

I have no giant desire to have F90 M5 type power available to me as I find it personally unusable and not enjoyable. So the base one with the magic 400/400 (most likely to the wheels) is plenty fast. I have literally 0 problem with the way my E92 M3 drives with its apparently gutless engine. If I wanted light to light numbers, I'd just consider a Tesla 3 Performance and call it a day, but clearly I'm not.

Not only am I grateful for the 3 pedals, but I'm also grateful that BMW didn't actually "handicap" the car by not being able to order fun options like the carbon buckets on a base car.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 5
SYT_Shadow11468.50
Rhanis12.00
clee1982797.50
JTO245271.50