Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
I'm more surprised they killed the DCT to be honest. Far superior in this type of car to the auto slush box as the only alternative to the MT
I get it that the ZF 8 spd is a good autobox. . . But how is there no variation whatsoever in offerings across the performance (and economy) car market? I understand it's versatile and what not and can be tuned different ways, it's just amazing to me how unbelievably how well dispersed they've gotten into a wide range of car offerings.

I am with you totally on your sentiment, and they killed the DCT without any market research whatsoever out of what I assume is a pure cost analysis.

10 years ago when Mercedes killed their manual transmission I said I wouldn't ever go that route. . . Now they offer their wet clutch DCT variant which is somehow the most exciting automatic transmission offered by the German manufacturers at this point. It's amazing how the offerings ebb and flow, and now the "most comfortable" brand of the big 3 offers the more engaging transmission for the every day driver (since Audi also killed it's DSG).
There's always PDK still best of the best tranny! I liked BMW's DCT and to your point was only offered on M cars. Made the car more exclusive and more engaging.

Save the 8 speed auto for the more pedestrian models

Truthfully I am absolutely shocked they didn't keep for M3/M4. The M5/M8 I don't like that they went auto but at least can understand the rationale.

Now they made the M3/M4 weigh as much as a M5 and have it an auto gear box instead of offering a DCT:

I had a F90 M5 I didn't like it to be honest. You really feel the weight and although everything on paper is great was not fun to drive

I preferred my M4 Comp bc it was toss-able and engaging and felt like a go cart. With awd and 4100+ lbs I guess the days of a nimble M3/M4 are over