View Single Post
      09-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #11
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Interesting. This IS a message board. It is for enthusiasts to discuss the cars. Are we saying we only want glowing reviews? If we are to simply just accept anything BMW markets to us with robotic responses, why discuss at all? I am genuinely curious why mods are making this stand. Are we worried that buyers with deposits will have their feelings hurt? Is there an obligation to perform free marketing for BMW? What is the driver behind this sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
While the rule is universal I read this is a warning that is specific to this forum due to excessive trolling here. So it belongs here.
Or maybe the new direction of BMW is polarizing the long-standing fanbase. This is the issue with the G8x cars. If a user comes here being new to BMW or not owning M cars in the past, I can see why they might find the G8x highly appealing, from a design standpoint as well. Even some older fans like it, too.

But if you're a particular kind of long-term BMW M fan, which MANY of us are, this direction is a particularly difficult one to accept. After all, there are contemporary traditions (i.e., last 40 years) that are being thrown out the window with this car. It's gaining weight. It's made "bold" (polarizing) design changes that some would argue (based on BMW corporate interviews) are driven by an emerging market overseas that perhaps a more conservative, traditional BMW fan might not enjoy. I distinctly remember Hooydonk a long time ago saying that understated styling is timeless. That resonates with a lot of us.

You are witnessing a fan base air their concerns about the brand direction--on a website specifically designed to debate the merits of these vehicles. Is this soapboxing? Trolling? I really don't know. edit: I want to add, I have never seen someone use the word "inciting" in reference to discussion. Edit2: I'll say as well everyone is pretty damn civil. Edgy at times maybe myself included but everyone's been pretty good.

Last edited by stefan; 09-25-2020 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 13