03-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #307
TanzaniteBlue
BMWphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & FCA! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Other than bigger grills, what about the new G80 will make it less M3 than the F80 when at least with spec'd with a Manual and RWD. Now with a regular auto and awd, I see the point, but with a manual and rwd, the G80 doesn't present a big change mechanically, more just an evolution of the F80 formula, only visually is it a revolution.
Agreed, for the AWD/8 speed auto models, it's not much of an M3 to me now. The M-DCT is leagues ahead of the ZF 8 speed in terms of dynamics. Driving my F80 and an M340i back to back you feel it. The 8 speed is good, but not nearly visceral enough IMO. It's all about programming. This is what ultimately drove me away from a Quadrofoglio. Alfa managed to totally screw the downshifting logic unless you're in race mode and 100000% up to temperature. Slow, clunky, unresponsive. Losing the DCT is a huge downfall right off the bat.

Now....for the 6 speed RWD G80, different story. I agree there as well.

Looks wise, the F8X is a sexy, stunning car. I cannot get past the front end of a G80. I will be buying out my F80, and maybe get a Z4 M40i or something. I don't want to jump the BMW ship. I've been in all the competitors and they don't do it for me.
Appreciate 0