vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I swapped on-call this weekend because I hurt my back, but forgot to move the UPS alarms. Stupid wind is blowing here, and I got multiple alerts as the power browned out. Off, oh wait, it's back - no, off aga - ok it's on. I'm trying to take a freaking nap here !!!
Oh, do I know that pain! I've got over 50 UPS units across 25+ buildings, and every power blip launches a 10-minute denial-of-service attack against my on-call phone. Our power company poached three of our entry-level network techs away, and I curse them out every time the alarms are flooding in even though they have nothing to do with the transmission/distribution grids.

The small city where I work was the first in the region to have electricity, and the grid was actually installed by Thomas Edison. I swear that some pieces that he installed are still in use, because we get hit daily with drops/sags on one or more feeds in to the grounds. There are feeds from three different substation circuits coming in from separate roads, and they are all as shaky as a rowboat in the ocean.....