Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejoEvo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
I agree, the M3 would be the wrong car, if it was like you want it to be. But it isn't like you want it to be, it will not have a DCT. People are buying the car not based on what they want the car to be, what the car should have been or what the heritage dictates, but based on what the car is. And this car will have a converter auto and this is why it will be the right car, even for bumper to bumper traffic. The problem is, that nobody will buy the car, except for a very small minority, if the car was how you want it to be: Radical, DCT, track focused, hard suspension setup etc.

BMW is still a company, and the only thing that matters is $$$. They will sell so much more cars if going with a more road focused car than a track focused car. If you want track, you can still buy the M4 GT4, all the things you want and even more. The G80 is a road legal car, 99% of the time it will be on a road and it is not suprising at all, that BMW went with the converter auto. And to be fair, the ZF 8-speed is the best one available today, you're not loosing much compared to last gen DCT while gaining a load of comfort, which is what pretty much everyone outside this forum wants. You have to remember, this forum has a skewed view, of course you will find many more people here that would want to have a DCT, but believe me when I say BMW did listen to their customers and they did what their customers wanted: a converter auto. Probably in breach of my NDA now, but do you know what the #1 complaint was about the M3/M4? It was the transmission.

And if you argue, that M is special, they don't care about money or sales numbers. No that's wrong, why do you think does M have more SUVs than sports cars? Why do you think the X3 is the most sold M car? If you want to understand the decision of a company on why they did something the way they did, I can guarantee you 99% of the time $$$ was the most important factor for that decision.
Again you want a luxury car with a M badge to be a poseur because you don't really want a Performance car. Thats well and good and unfortunately where all M cars are headed.

By doing this - BMW has watered down M cars and the prestige of that badge.
Basically the loyal enthusiasts that cultivated the M brand now need to suffer so the general public can comfortably sit in traffic and show off their M badge.

The point of M cars was for a small minority of buyers historically. It was only sold during some of the years of the regular models production cycle. Thats why those cars were special and sought after. The X model Ms are definitely not true M cars to me.
I understand your point, these days many people don't appreciate what an M car is supposed to be. The F80/82 is a great car, but is more recognized by the power of the S55 than from their handling character.

People want a car that can be fast on a straight line, than fast on the track.
Horsepower wars are taking over