First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
So basically you bought the wrong car. You sit in traffic 99% of the time then buy a car for that purpose bec M3s shouldn’t be used for that. They should be first for Performance driving but also still serve as commuter car. I’m sure you complain how uncomfortable the suspension is over potholes.

M cars should be for the minority that want ultimate performance. If you want auto buy M340i. This is just watered down M car. Whats next no more widebody lol

I wish BMW would copy Porsche- build a car for the masses (911) but then offer a raw performance version a la GT3/GT3RS.
I agree, the M3 would be the wrong car, if it was like you want it to be. But it isn't like you want it to be, it will not have a DCT. People are buying the car not based on what they want the car to be, what the car should have been or what the heritage dictates, but based on what the car is. And this car will have a converter auto and this is why it will be the right car, even for bumper to bumper traffic. The problem is, that nobody will buy the car, except for a very small minority, if the car was how you want it to be: Radical, DCT, track focused, hard suspension setup etc.

BMW is still a company, and the only thing that matters is $$$. They will sell so much more cars if going with a more road focused car than a track focused car. If you want track, you can still buy the M4 GT4, all the things you want and even more. The G80 is a road legal car, 99% of the time it will be on a road and it is not suprising at all, that BMW went with the converter auto. And to be fair, the ZF 8-speed is the best one available today, you're not loosing much compared to last gen DCT while gaining a load of comfort, which is what pretty much everyone outside this forum wants. You have to remember, this forum has a skewed view, of course you will find many more people here that would want to have a DCT, but believe me when I say BMW did listen to their customers and they did what their customers wanted: a converter auto. Probably in breach of my NDA now, but do you know what the #1 complaint was about the M3/M4? It was the transmission.

And if you argue, that M is special, they don't care about money or sales numbers. No that's wrong, why do you think does M have more SUVs than sports cars? Why do you think the X3 is the most sold M car? If you want to understand the decision of a company on why they did something the way they did, I can guarantee you 99% of the time $$$ was the most important factor for that decision.

Last edited by Flamingi; 05-13-2020 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00