kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
The M3 will retain this high standard, after all the G80 will be better in pretty much any aspect than the F80, and I don't think there is any reputation to hold for the DCT transmission. To be honest, I think the DCT in the F82 is utter trash. Not on the track, there it is brilliant (or well, at least better than on the road, not quite on the level of PDK), but like I said before, 99% of people (me included) drive this car on the road to work and back and the ocasional joy ride on a weekend. I did enjoy my laps on the Nürburgring, and there the DCT was the best option to go for, but that transmission was such a downgrade for daily driving, that I traded the car in after 6 months. Overall I don't think there will be any long lasting effects, in contrary I even think the G80 will be more successfull with a converter auto than the DCT.

The group of people who care about the DCT is a very, very small minority and I'm pretty sure they are outnumbered by the group who prefers a converter auto and 95% of the people will probably just not care or know any difference.
Albert Biermann who was with M since E30 M3 left the division when the board decided not to use DCT on F90 M5, presumably because he understood this was not about the brand not using a particular element but also their reluctance to pioneer motorsport spirit on which the subbrand was founded.
VW doesn't touch Porsche GT division or Lamborghini with their car developments because they understand strong, loyal enthusiast pool is what kept the brand identity.

If BMW M is a mere "exaggeration" of BMWs instead of a separate entity like Markus Flasch said, that's fine. But they should stop referring back to old DTM cars that made them successful because M isn't making street legal DTM cars with their recent products. It is misleading to customers.
SYT_Shadow11470.50