View Single Post
      11-30-2019, 11:42 PM   #218
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I think that 'too many gears' is probably the root cause of several of my issues. There's nothing worse than needing to drop 3 gears when braking hard into a turn so you're ready for the exit. Or 5 gears when you want to pass somebody on the freeway (actually this is one of the marketing features of the ZF8).

Now, I guess it's technically possible that BMW M division could make an 8 speed box where the bottom 5 gears are spaced out nicely for track driving and the other 3 are only used in 'econo-mode'. But that would be sort of strange and would require an engine that had a wide power band. I'm sure it would hurt the fuel economy numbers.

Love the M8 video by the way - the section at 4:25 clearly shows why the gearbox sucks for driver engagement.
I agree with you here but to be fair and not becoming confusing to BMW and other manufacturers this is not about optimal lap times. It’s about feel, driver engagement and simply the love and passion of driving a car. To me the scale is MT over DCT and DCT over ZF AT. So as long as BMW offer the MT I can’t really complain.
Appreciate 1
pbar1400.00