11-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #216
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
ZF8 loses out to DCT because:
3. Too many gears. Frustrating to wait for engine to build boost and downshift because the transmission goes into 8th gear all the time. It doesn't give users joy to shift all the time rather than wringing out each gear to the maximum possible rpm. This gets worse with higher torque engines.
I think that 'too many gears' is probably the root cause of several of my issues. There's nothing worse than needing to drop 3 gears when braking hard into a turn so you're ready for the exit. Or 5 gears when you want to pass somebody on the freeway (actually this is one of the marketing features of the ZF8).

Now, I guess it's technically possible that BMW M division could make an 8 speed box where the bottom 5 gears are spaced out nicely for track driving and the other 3 are only used in 'econo-mode'. But that would be sort of strange and would require an engine that had a wide power band. I'm sure it would hurt the fuel economy numbers.

Love the M8 video by the way - the section at 4:25 clearly shows why the gearbox sucks for driver engagement.

Last edited by pbar; 11-30-2019 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0