United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Right, people disagree on the controversial styling or the lack of a MT with AWD or that it doesn't have a 48V hybrid system yet. There are always various reasons as you mentioned but isolating us "forum members" for never being happy, while true to an extent, does a disservice to the fact that M decides to put an automatic in a car that shouldn't have it. It's not a power problem as we see with the M5/M8 (that needs the ZF since it would probably fry the clutches much sooner than with a DCT), it's more of a budgeting issue. They can use the same transmission across the board that doesn't require significant investment, i.e. only minor software updating which is a much lower barrier to entry than the standalone ZF. The other aspect is that it probably saves 1-2% on emissions/gas mileage vs the DCT, which continues the bastardization of the driving experience.
This isn't the first time that BMW has offered an auto in an M Car. The E36 M3 was offered with an automatic and there are a fair share of them floating around. I think there is merit to the cost cutting/streamlining comments, but I don't feel that there is much lost going from a paddle shifted DCT to a paddle shifted automatic in my experience with both transmissions. At the end of the day, I'm a die hard manual guy, so I have no real vested interest in the DCT vs AT argument. I'm merely taking a step back and looking at the entirety of the situation without the emotional component (...which is the same thing somebody who wasn't vested in manual transmissions would do if the debate were about manuals).
I'm in the same camp as you regarding manual transmissions.

That being said there is most definitely a difference between the DCT and the ZF. Saying it's negligible is like saying the suspension between a 340i and M3 are mostly the same. Not even close.

As for the E36 M3, that was a different era and they offered a transmission that people would want possibly, however, in today's day and age with the tech available (read DCT) why wouldn't they put the more aggressive, performance oriented variant in the car?

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 1
pbar1400.00