Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
That leads to two questions:
1) Why exactly do these customers need the additional 'endurance, cooling, strength' etc? (I agree it's needed on the track - though I can still only manage about 20 minute sessions before the brakes start to cook!)
2) Why did I need to pay extra for "M Performance Suspension" on my M4?

I actually agree with everything you said... right up until the last sentence.

Driving an M car in 'full auto' on the track is a frustrating and unrewarding exercise. Might as well buy a Tesla and put it in self-driving track mode with 'automatic drifting'.

As I understood it, 'M' is supposed to stand for Motorsport. Perhaps BMW need a new division for 'Overengineered Massive GT cars' (let's call it 'OMG')? ...but Mercedes already have that market covered.

As you say, the M2 is probably the best option for a driver's car right now, but that is starting to feel a little dated (especially the interior) and will also be EOP soon. So what's an M owner to do?
Did you feel the same way with the automatic E36 M3's?
The DCT is a major improvement in every way for aggressive track dynamic driving over a standard automatic.

Why go backwards? For cost and because BMW really has no idea what they are doing at the moment (eg grill design, initial M4CS pricing).

The DCT is a manual transmission with paddle shifters. The best of a manual and automatic rolled into one. It's far superior for me to a Manual for aggressive driving.

Anyway, the big grill and slush box will seal the fate of this car. The final nail in the coffin will be electrification to appease the climate alarmists.
Appreciate 2
pbar1398.50