11-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #201
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
That leads to two questions:
1) Why exactly do these customers need the additional 'endurance, cooling, strength' etc? (I agree it's needed on the track - though I can still only manage about 20 minute sessions before the brakes start to cook!)
2) Why did I need to pay extra for "M Performance Suspension" on my M4?

I actually agree with everything you said... right up until the last sentence.

Driving an M car in 'full auto' on the track is a frustrating and unrewarding exercise. Might as well buy a Tesla and put it in self-driving track mode with 'automatic drifting'.

As I understood it, 'M' is supposed to stand for Motorsport. Perhaps BMW need a new division for 'Overengineered Massive GT cars' (let's call it 'OMG')? ...but Mercedes already have that market covered.

As you say, the M2 is probably the best option for a driver's car right now, but that is starting to feel a little dated (especially the interior) and will also be EOP soon. So what's an M owner to do?
With over a year until the G8X is available the new M2 shouldn’t be far behind and there seem to be a possibility it will inherit some of the 3.0 CSL heritage concept car’s look...

Or go MT for the G8X, highly recommended . That was what I meant by my original comment. If you want the better track driving experience do it full out. The AT is for the people not going to the track IMO or going there solely to go fast. Why do these people “need” the M cars higher end capabilities? They technically don’t in the same way most people buying a G wagon or 4Runner don’t need their strength and capability but having that extra buffer and quality feel is rewarding enough in itself. I love the feel of higher quality engineering in my M car and our Porsche everyday every drive on or off the track. The M performance cars look similar but feel totally different.

Last edited by solstice; 11-30-2019 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
pbar1380.50