View Single Post
      11-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #197
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
BMW is going for a more broadly appealing car that uses shared tech. They get the benefit of lower costs and attracting buyers who may not like the behavior of the M-DCT.
There have *always* been many of those customers. They used to be the people who bought a 335i saying "it's just as good as an M3" and if they couldn't tell the difference then that was just fine ... now they buy an M340i, M350i whatever.

The M cars were supposed to have rough edges ("mummy, my DCT is not smooth enough!") and compromised comfort in exchange for superior handling and performance that enthusiasts appreciated. They cost more because the potential market was smaller.

If BMW isn't going to do that any more, then they should be honest about it and, cancel the M3 and tell everybody that the mass market "M350ixs+" is the car they should want.

That's the logical conclusion of the "forum enthusiasts are only a tiny part of the market" argument (that inevitably follows every post like this).

Personally, I'm shopping for extended warranties right now, hoping that something better will eventually appear.

Last edited by pbar; 11-30-2019 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
drgmt984.50