08-06-2019, 03:17 AM   #17
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I suspect many mix rev match and throttle blip. As you say everyone who ever driven a manual quickly learn to rev. match. My 75 year old mum, still zip around town in her manual no rev. match car and shifts smoothly up and down as the rest of 80% or so of European car drivers without thinking.

What I think some enthusiasts here is talking about is not rev. matching but tracking your MT car where you balance the car on the edge of grip into corners and can’t afford upsetting the rear with engine braking or be clutched out for any extended time and mitigate it with heel toe action and throttle blip. This is trickier to master every time.

The auto rev. match help you with both scenarios. Is it necessary? Nope but it is nice to have the option, I’m sure even my mom would appreciate if we get it in her next car

Not sure if I follow the distinction you are drawing between blipping the throttle and rev-matching. Any blip in the throttle is to match the engine rev to the wheel rev before the clutch is re-engaged regardless of where it is performed (e.g. in a straight line or around a corner), and as such, the former is just a way to achieve the latter. Is there any other kind of rev-matching?

On a separate topic, I typically downshift in the braking zone before the turn-in, so I will rarely be caught in between gears through a corner to worry about rev-matching.

I do agree though that the auto rev-match feature can be beneficial in certain conditions. As long as it can be turned off independent of the drive mode (i.e. don't force me to be in Sport+ to turn it off), I don't mind it.
Appreciate 1
Miko M6653.50