View Single Post
      05-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
I am curious how the G80 compares to the F80, especially in driving and fun. I’d love to hear driving impressions and comparisons from previous F80 owners.

I currently have a 2018 M3 ZCP w manual.
I love the looks and interior of the G80. Especially in controversial colors like the yellow on blue with buckets. Or green on brown (a lot less controversial). I also like the new iDrive, materials and tech a lot more. I got to sit in the sedan and the bucket seats feel amazing, but I would need to buy some bolster protection/cover otherwise I know I will do some wear and tear in 12 months getting in and out.

I haven’t had a chance to drive the G80, so I’m really curious how it compares to the last gen from those that own/ed both. I think the biggest difference will be in the AWD model(coming later), but I would still prefer a manual where the gap from F80 will be smaller. I wish the manual(base M3) had remote start and awd.
I've had 4 M4 6MT, 1 M2C DCT, 1 M2 6MT, and 1 F80 CS.

If you're going manual again, everything except full throttle-low revs acceleration is going to feel like a serious upgrade. The big story is the upgrade in handling and steering feel. Noticeably more front end grip, more composed rear end, and sharper and more obedient response to steering inputs all contribute to a feeling of agility that will exceed any expectations set by the car's reported weight and physical dimensions. You may find yourself looking for backroads to exercise it.

You've experienced the upgrade in tech and interior. On the move, you'll enjoy the better HUD execution, especially in M-Mode. If you opt for the CF bucket seats, you'll find that they enhance the drive and make the whole experience feel "special". The delta between G8x and F8x will feel even bigger. No factory M3 of any generation has ever given you the locked-in experience of going around curves that the new buckets in a car this capable do.

The new M1/M2 buttons placement is something that should be talked about more. You're effectively encouraged to go in and out of modes based on changing road conditions. Whereas before I'd generally sit in the same mode for an entire trip, now I'll see a yellow 25mph curve warning sign and push the M1 button to dial up Sport Plus chassis to take it at speed, then push M1 again afterwards to go back to all comfort (everything is set to Efficient/Comfort if you press the same button again). It's really easy to have your cake and eat it with this car; it's designed for it.

I honestly can't envision an F8x 6MT owner being anything but pleased with the upgrade.
Appreciate 8
Vic5519554.50
Der_Wolf888.00
heavyD^23688.50
KevinGS3363.50
///AVM2529.50
PLF693770.00