Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I'm actually surprised BMW doesn't put them on US vehicles anyway. I recall BMW saying they were going to adhere to the higher fuel efficiency mandates even after the US claws back the severity of the regulation.

It is for emissions not fuel economy
You must know the goal behind fuel economy standards is to reduce emissions; no? I took this understanding for granted when I commented.
Well it's technically accurate if motor uses less fuel it will have lower emissions. However the opf filter has no effect on how much fuel the motor consumes, so your statement while true in a general sense was not accurate in relation to the function of the OPF.

I will also add without diving too deep toward topics that belong on the politics subforum the US has pretty separate legislative drivers in setting standards for emissions and fuel economy, the whole foreign oil dependance/depletion of resources discussion. But it is true there is an interdependent relationship.

considering the detrimental effect to the vehicle (sound, performance) I doubt bmw would reduce the vehicles market appeal just to jump ahead. They much prefer the marketing benefit of touting their fuel consumption being ahead of the standards but that is mostly due to superior engineering combine with stricter euro standards... they can engineer a 382hp motor that gets 30mpg in a 3900lb awd car.... not many other OEMs can
Appreciate 0