Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Revealing exit interview with M chief Markus Flasch

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...aendigen-m-an/

Translation of highlights:

1. What did you learn in the 3 years BMW M?

When you fight for the things you value most, you'll get it! We have changed some important things on the level of product proposal as on the level of organisation. Certainly the integration of M and Motrosport is to be noted. Finally we brought together what belonged together in the first place! Also, it was thrilling to experience the M fanbase with whom we could interact directly and which provided instant feedback. This is something really rare in the industry.

2. What was the negative experience you'd rather not had?

Nothing shocking really. When you are this intense with social media like we are, you'll get confronted with recurrent nagging comments. That's something you should be able to deal with.

3. For which things, that were important to you, you'd had to fight hard?

It was far from clear that the future of M moves in the direction of partial and full electrification. I needed to convince the organisation of this. Also, many discussions were held about the importance of motorsport in the future since in the organisation there were several conflicting opinions about that! But now, everybody agrees with the future program that we drew up.

4. For which model you'd had to fight hard?

The M3 touring, since it was never part of a model roadmap. It originated out of the brain of some creative heads in Garching and it appeared totally out of the blue (like a submarine) out the workshop. It was such an accomplished car, that the approval for mass production was achieved fast. This also shows that the organisation is extreme healthy, engaged and intrinsical motivated.

5. Why does the M3 touring comes only now, since it's clearly not a new idea?

The circumstances were never this good! The G20 touring uses the same rear axle and we offer now for the first time the X-drive option which is a necessity for high performance estates.

6. Now there is one, soon a second BEV M Performance model. What about a high performance model?

Yes, the i4M50 and a new variant for the iX. But then we'll show the concept for a BEV high performance model. And... in the context of the "new class", there will be a major transition to high performance BEVs.

7. How important is electrical autonomy of a high performance PHEV?

We want that the car has a significant electrical autonomy. We see the use particularly in the city centre.

8. Is there a synergy with the LMDh-Motorsport project that you announced for 2023?

The ICE engine is free to choose, also the power electronics. Only the hybrid-electrical hardware is a fixed standard. Yes, most certainly there are analogies between high performance PHEV for future road cars and the concept. We could imagine to use the technology of the endurance motor racing in the new M5... as a matter of speaking.

7. In integrating M Gmbh and Motorsport, the organisational aspects were priority. When will we see the impact in the products?

bla-bla-bla on sentiment and that also youngsters apparently love Motorsport. The first car that was conceived in this new structure was the M4 GT3. It is also the first car since DTM-M3 E30 coming from Garching and partially made by the same people!! Next year the M4 GT4 will come and in 2023 we will start in Daytona with the LMDh car.

8. You said three years back that a unique M-car would not necessarly had to be a sportscar. Based on our info wrt the PHEV, we would bet on a crossover. Is this also the first unique M car since the M1? (strange question isn't it?)

To be clear, there will be a unique M car.

9. When possible a sportscar? (what, previous question he was convinced it was a crossover??)

We stand for sports and high performance on the public road. We also want to endulge customers that are seeking for luxury. With the M8 we partially succeeded in this mission. Nevertheless there is still one segment we're not represented in! I can't reveal more than what I just said.

10. You also said that you would provide a series of emotional loaded cars. With the M2CS and M5CS we'd say you delivered on that promise. Can you confirm the M4CSL here and now? It's not that they remained unnoticed during their prototype trips...

The car is clearly no longer a secret. In contrast with the two cars you mention, we don't need to provide for 4 passengers. This car will be clearly lighter and more focussed than a CS.

11. So we can expect a weight reduction of >100kgs?

Yes, you can.

12. ...and it is clearly not electrified. How do you prepare the M engines for Euro7?

We have a lot of trics in our sleeves, no worries. We can still continue with the current generation until 2030, both for circuit as for public road purposes.

(what he is forgetting is that the pressure is raising very fast on CO², and there is no tric left in his sleeve for that I'am afraid).

14. What are those trics?

I can't go into detail. We perfectionised the fuel burning process in order to avoid we had to install weight increasing periphals requiring more space. It doesn't really matter how strict the final norm becomes, we know that we will comply with it! This is also true for our V8 engines.

15. No downsizing needed towards electrified 4-cyl?

No, we don't look into that when it concerns high performance solutions.

16. How long we still have to wait for a BEV M, 15,20, 25 or even more years?

We don't want to answer such a hypothetical question, we want and need to remain commercial relevant. It's no doubt the future, but when is now a question left unanswered. Also because the ICE still has a very long and important role to play. I can tell you this: as from 2025 we'll have all kinds of motors: ICE, PHEV and BEV and they will provide a solution for everybodies needs and wants.

17. But, a BEV touring car is not yet planned?

We're not going to impose principles of which we're the only ones that believe they are right. Today, we don't see the willingness nor the need of the teams to realise such a car. I don't want to abuse motorsport to artificially provoke enthousiasm! It's impossible to provoke for enthousiam anyway. There is already evidence of this in motorsport.

18. So, not even a brand cup with BEV? (this guy is working on my nerves)

No, it doesn't make any sense when you train your future pilot potential with mastering cars that are not comparable with the behaviour they can expect in the superior classes. bla-bla-bla

19. You also have personal motorsport ambitions?

For me it was a clear objective to enroll for the 24h of the Nürburgring and participate. This was revealing to me and I learned how motorsport actually works and also about top motorsport I learned some lessons, what it takes to develop a real controllable sportscar like the M4 GT3. bla-bla-bla.

Last edited by KoenG; 11-04-2021 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 5
BMWGirlFL6262.00
cwhands640.00
Donolotti382.00
Patton2502938.00
E92M3GT101.00