Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmr7 View Post
I’m not sure if you actually ever been in a KITH Boutique or just did a refresh on the internet. KITH or Ronnie Fieg absolutely makes their own designs. As a matter of fact I would spend (I have) $140 one one of their sweatshirts over some of the crap that’s pushed in stores of other retailers simply because of the quality of materials. Show me another designer who used 500 GSM cotton for sweatshirts and 250 GSM cotton t-shirts? I’ll wait.
You are asking the wrong guy. I wear $30 jeans and $50 sweaters because they get the job done. When they wear out in a year, I donate them and get a new one. I don't care about name brands or fashion trends. I wear New Balances because they are comfortable. I am not a sneaker head nor will I ever will be because I like to get my shoes dirty and worn out by using them. 500 GSM cotton means nothing to me because I can buy 4-5 of similar enough looking items at the retail store made of a polyester cotton blend. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate well made items, and if you want to spend $140 on a sweater, I would never take that away from you. I have a $400 jacket that I love, but those items are few and far between the costco specials I normally get. I will never shop at KITH because a $160 hoodie with a Native American style print in turquoise is not my style. I'm not trying to impress anyone with $55 Lucky Charms gloves. WTF is that anyway?!

Quote:
Additionally, what you refer to as “using someone else’s design” is called a collaboration or collab, which is exactly what the KITH Car is all about. It’s a G80 M4 with an added touch.
Exactly. It doesn't take a genius to use the M colors on the seats then slap a giant KITH logo on the roof. Again, if walmart did it no one would care, but Kith has "followers". It's a cult of personality. It might as well be a Kim Kardashian edition for all I care.

Quote:
I’m not going to argue or challenge how you define social media (everyone has their own opinion) but the fact of the matter is, it’s here to stay and it’s the way that most companies market their products.
I didn't say it was going away.

Quote:
I don’t know BMW’s end game but someone in the company felt the current market strategy was the right way forward. As enthusiasts, we have to finally come to the realization that their market doesn’t revolve around us.
It doesn't have to, and yet I don't have to like it, nor does it have to revolve or even target me. Voicing my opinion isn't going to make it go away. I would not be so narcissistic to think that it will. Nevertheless, I will voice my opinion.

Quote:
I’ve been hearing the same argument (what about their enthusiasts) since I joined this forum 10+ years ago. As many of you have said in this forum, “BMW is marketing to people who can’t afford this car, I’m saying BMW is marketing to people who can in a few years and for longer periods of time, than you or I may be interested in their cars. I don’t know about anyone here but I bought (leased) my first BMW at 23 and bought my second at 24 and guess what? I’ve been leasing and buying BMW’s since (now 41). Paid off my E92 M3, will be adding the G80 to the garage (E92 will be daily) and when I get back stateside will lease my wife her BMW of choice. Again because you don’t agree with their marketing doesn’t make it wrong, and doesn’t make it right as you so wisely stated above.
Again, I understand the strategy. I am also in my 40's, I've had many bimmers and several M cars. As someone who has a career in media, I know that I am no longer the target demographic. In the past 7 years I've had 7 new bimmers. Like you, I will probably be getting another for my wife in 3 months and I will be shopping for my F80 replacement later this year and then a commuter replacement for my i3 next year. I was hoping the G80 would be in my garage regardless of the questionable marketing because in the end ad agencies make the ad and the engineers make the car. Oops, they lost their long time M head engineer Albert Biermann. This brings me to my last, and most important point:

All this effort to capture a new audience with edgy marketing, youth oriented social media friendly strategies, bold designs and "collabs" with influencers, and they forgot about the car itself.

Any questionable marketing strategies would easily forgiven if the G80 looked beautiful and continued the spirit of what the M3/4 has stood for. You don't have to make a car bigger and heavier to appeal to a new audience. That already existed in the M5.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 7
stein_325i25083.00
DAC17170.50
b2nvs2001108.50
AlterZgo1537.50
Mavus2029.50
CanAutM321116.50