12-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #15
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGM4 View Post
The sale of ICE cars will be phased out in the UK (and EU) over the coming decades, however the sale of used cars will continue way beyond that anyway.

Also, the fuel station companies will still have a demand for petrol and diesel beyond that, due to the need for people to keep running the ICE cars they already own!

I think, if anything, the second hand value of the current range of M cars (M2-M8) will increase if they are kept in good condition because they are probably the last of the petrol-only M cars BMW will ever make. They should become collectables in years to come, when most of the population are running EV cars...

...and on the subject of EV cars, in the UK there is a VERY limited charging infrastructure currently, making it impossible for many motorists to even consider going to EV (myself included as I don't have a private driveway or garage and live in a small village). This will take many years and £billions of investment to roll out the required country-wide infrastructure....and even then, the UK doesn't generate enough power for domestic supply, to anywhere near cover the charging requirements of a UK-wide fleet of EV cars!

I'm also pretty sceptical about the long-term life of EV cars, as the batteries will be VERY expensive to replace when they die and the total environmental impact of the manufacturing and decommissioning process of EV cars has been kept hidden up to now - are they really as environmentally friendly as they're purported to be? I think not.

Hydrogen-powered cars seems more likely to me...which places significant questions over the future of EV cars in my mind.
Couldn't agree more with all of this. The eco-evangelism being pumped out of weekly auto-mags is becoming insufferable here in the UK, because it gives the rather hysterical impression that 'the ban' (as many editors piously call it, in their acquiescence to the government's stunningly overoptimistic targets for a 2030 EV infrastructure) is just around the corner--and therefore that we buyers should already be contemplating EVs. In turn, the rhetoric of EV promotion is subtly (or not so subtly) coercing potential buyers into thinking that ICUs are already prehistoric. But the fact is in a decade's time, the roads here will still be thoroughly well populated with virtually new petrol cars which, in high performance guise, will remain highly desirable for years, even as your average commuter or non-enthusiast will be riding around in something with the sound and charisma of a kitchen appliance. If anything, the extent to which a more sanctimonious portion of the population will consider you a heretic for owning something like a G80 will only increase the car's attraction beyond the middle of the next decade. A future classic in the making, no doubt, with buoyant residuals to match.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 2
Chicane_1050.00