09-08-2023, 09:53 AM   #3
Matt214
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2106 BMW M3 (F80) MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
This really comes down to whether you plan to keep your car stock with a factory warranty, or not. If so, you need to run the factory spec oil regardless of whether something else may be technically better. In the unlikely event you have an issue BMW will 100% use your out-of-spec oil as a reason to avoid paying a claim. There’s just no reason to risk it.

On my tuned car running ethanol I am using 300v 5w-40. I will probably switch to something thinner for the winter months when the car will be on pump gas. Haven’t figured out exactly what yet.
At this point, I plan on keeping the car long term. My F80 (which I still have) is a 2016. I want to use an oil that will protect the S58 engine like the Shell Rotella 5w-40 has for the S55 engine. At this point, I'm trying to determine if the tolerances/differences between the S55 and S58 engine are different enough to where perhaps the Shell Rotella isn't as good of an option. I'm taking note of what one member said, here: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=36

Additional Note: I have always changed my oil and filter every 3,000 miles. This includes ensuring that those changes happened within the factory's prescribed 10,000 miles intervals.

Last edited by Matt214; 09-08-2023 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0