View Single Post
      01-12-2021, 08:05 AM   #14
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftingG82 View Post
Good Morning from NY. I've been thinking about this since I saw the G82 in person.

I would like to know how many others who are pulling the trigger on a G8x M3/M4 are still renting an apartment. I really want a G82 but I'm tired of renting and want a home for myself where I could park my cars inside my own garage. If I pull the trigger on the G82 I won't be able to buy a house for another five years which doesn't really bother me that much, but it will be on the back of my mind especially since I don't have a garage near my current location so I'll end up parking the car on the street.

I know the car is going to lose value everyday I drive it, while a house might stay the same or go up in value in most cases. But, I'm a car guy, I love cars, I do most of my mechanic work myself, and LOVE high speed, shifting my own gears, and car technology. I've had numerous days where work was horrible, but the minute I turn on my car I forget about everything and just pay attention to the operating temperature of the car before I hammer it! Sadly, when I come home from a horrible day at work I don't admire my apartment. I just want my bed and start a new day the next day.

I just want to know how irrational or rational my thoughts are and whether I'm the only one that's going through this. If you were in a similar boat in the past can you tell me what you ended up going with and how things are now?
I remember watching MTV Cribs years ago and a guy had an incredible car with a tattered apartment and his response was "you can't ARRIVE in a house, man!"

In all seriousness, spending this kind of money on a car should come at a point in your life when you have your finances in order (home, savings, etc). I'm 47, have a good job, nice home, married, 3 kids (one in college, the next two on their way - college savings are funded), am saving appropriately for retirement, etc.... all the right things. I am JUST NOW buying my first expensive car. I currently drive a 430i x-drive that was a demo. I'm going with the G83 when it is released. I've earned it.

If you can afford it and still save for the present and future, go for it. If you don't have a dime to your name, it's not the time.

But everyone is different....
Appreciate 3