View Single Post
      05-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

BMW Traction Control behaviour and Drive Modes in Various models

So I see that there are a few bits of information out there about how much traction control intervenes in which mode.

Using the M340i X-Drive Touring, the weekend was wet and cold (8-10C)

Perfect time to find out what happens when an idiot hits the tarmac

First DTC mode (MDM/short press TC OFF)

Car flies everywhere (oversteer), wild as heck, computer responds to steering countersteer input to get the car rotated to where you point it. Yaw allowance is pretty generous, car was 45 degrees sideways by the time i countersteered and then it was flung the other way, in fact almost 45 degrees the other way, another countersteer brought it back on track. Drifting is possible in this mode.

If you do not counter steer the car will just spin at the mercy of physics. Applying brakes did not seem to halt the spin.

Next Sport Plus, Sport, Sport Individual (everything in comfort setting!). All seem to produce the same stability computer reactions.

Interestingly, once friction runs out on the rear (violent steering input & acceleration required, 255 rears!) it is allowed to oversteer/spin. If you do not counter steer the car will just spin at the mercy of physics. Applying brakes did not seem to halt the spin.

However it is very easy to catch the oversteer with countersteer input by amateur (never had the opportunity to track a car). This suggests the power is cut a little bit compared to DTC mode, where little to no power cut is applied, drifting is possible. In all sport modes, very controlled sliding around a bend is possible.

Comfort setting - I cannot get the car to oversteer. WHether in D/S/M gearbox modes.

Hope this helps.

**- see next post

Last edited by G30M; 05-18-2022 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0