View Single Post
      01-28-2022, 07:09 PM   #43
stalintc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3

After posting yesterday, I got back into audio evaluation mode and went out listening again. The boominess people are mentioning hearing is definitely there at higher volumes, and I suspect it is due to the limiting of the system. This could cause an otherwise simple sine tone to flatten out, looking like a smushed wave at the top. In OEM automotive sound this is a common way to deal with either not enough power from the amplifier, or not enough acoustic capability of the speaker/mechanical mounting/acoustic position within the cabin. At high volume it gets rather harsh, but not too distorted so again I am guessing it is a power issue. The bass cannot keep up with the midrange+high frequency. I also find that our system is lacking below 35Hz.

bri1042 You make a great point about hearing loss and individual sound perception. I am also glad your hearing is coming back! I have quite good hearing for being a middle aged male with my high frequency -6dB point at almost 17kHz, although I am essentially useless right after that. I have worn hearing protection to concerts since 2010 which I am sure has helped. If you do end up finding a good solution, let use know, I'm all ears (sorry I couldn't help it)

I typically leave the system in L7 on at detent, and speed gain at max. Flat tone controls and EQ setting. I just relistened using a USB thumb drive and FLAC files I ripped from CDs. I used Dr.Dre, Porcupine Tree, Marcus Miller, Joni Mitchell, and Lamb of God, and listened in the Drivers, Passengers, and rear right seat.

The DSP in the factory systems is very powerful these days, more so than most aftermarket options. Some vehicles are tuned for the drivers seat only, and some for all seats, etc. It sounds to me the vehicle was tuned for front seat priority with back seats only needing to be decent. Since I did not design or make this system I can only guess using my ears and my experience, so of course YMMV.

Part of me wishes I still had access to a calibrated measurement system so I could figure it out. The other part of me knows that once I know what the problem is I will be unable to un-hear it so in this case ignorance has it's bliss.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00